In the third episode of our new podcast, Greg Trowman sits down with Dave Coulson, the manager of the elite-level team Cycling Sheffield.
The team was established in 2014 as Envelopemaster – Giant. Set up as a development team, it aims to help riders develop and further their careers as athletes by providing a professional and nurturing team environment. The team has already had notable success: one of their graduates is Connor Swift no less.
Uniquely, the concept of the team is about creating a geographic identity, similar to that of a football team. As such, he works with organisations throughout the city of Sheffield to create partnerships that benefit both the city and the team.
In a wide-ranging, honest, and open interview, Greg and Dave talk about:
- the rollercoaster juggling act of running an elite-level racing team
- creating a marketable team based on geographic identity
- the team’s approach to rider development
- helping riders decide when to stop cycling, and
- the team’s 2020 squad and future plans.
Featured photo: James York